CycleMAYnia Returns in May
May 21, 2021
There are still nine more online events, rides and activities in May in Santa Barbara County’s Southcoast
Santa Barbara, Calif. – CycleMAYnia is back in 2021 as Santa Barbara County’s southcoast celebrates national bike month throughout May. More than 25 in-person bicycling activities and online events comprise the 12th annual celebration. In-person rides and activities have capacity limits with some requiring pre-registration to ensure equipment availability as well as the health and safety of all riders. The public is encouraged to check out the event calendar at cycleMAYnia.org and register for activities before they fill up.
Bicycling increased by 16 percent in the United States since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic last year, highlighted by a April study published in the Transport Review Journal.
“We are thrilled to bring back the joy of CycleMAYnia this year,” said Marjie Kirn, Executive Director of SBCAG. “Bicycling has increased significantly in the United States since the COVID-19 pandemic and it is exciting to be able to formally offer online and smaller, in-person activities throughout the month of May to support the uptick in bicycling in our own community. I am particularly looking forward to the electric bike activities, including Taco Tuesday E-Bike Demos and the CycleMAYnia Community E-Bike Ride, as well as the Bicycle Friendly Community Panel.”
“CycleMAYnia 2021 has something for everyone, whether you are new to cycling, a parent, a bike nerd, or curious about electric bikes,” said Kent Epperson, Director of SBCAG’s Traffic Soutions. “I hope the public takes an opportunity to check out the variety of fun activities we have to celebrate the joy of bicycling that helps bring about a cleaner and healthier community. Even more, it’s beyond time for us to be able to come together like this in a safer environment to just-have-fun!”
CycleMAYnia has several more online events, rides, and activities in the final stretch of May.
- Bike-In-Movie Night hosted by SBBike at the Bici Centro community bike shop
- Bike to Nature Eastside Ride with guides from Wilderness Youth Project and the Coalition for Sustainable Transportation.
- Electric bike demos at Taco Tuesdays and at the CycleMAYnia Community E-Bike Ride (demo opportunities are offered through SBCAG’s EZ Bike Project).
- The Greatest Car-Free Zoom Show on Earth – an online panel offering viewers tales and tips to gain more by driving less.
- Wheelie Wednesday Contest, showcasing riders who have been participating in weekly Wheelie Wednesday practices.
- Bicycle Friendly Communities – presentation and discussions from bike planners about the changing trends and landscape of bike infrastructure in Santa Barbara County and beyond.
- Two community bike rides: the monthly Bike DeLights ride and the CycleMAYnia Community E-Bike Ride.
Founded in 2009, CycleMAYnia is a public/private collaboration using community resources and South Coast Measure A Bicycle and Pedestrian funds to organize activities for the community, which also receives support from large numbers of volunteers and organizations like the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (SBBike) and the Coalition for Sustainable Transportation (COAST).
The public is encouraged to read more about the bike month activities and view the calendar of activities on the CycleMAYnia website at cycleMAYnia.org.
About Traffic Solutions
Traffic Solutions is a division of the Santa Barbara County Association of Governments (SBCAG) and serves as the countywide rideshare organization with a mission to reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality by encouraging people to drive less and use sustainable transportation.